Monday, January 28, 2013

Letter 1/28/13

Lots of good things happened this week! We had 2 baptisms this week (I almost feel like Elder Johansen!) Their names are Jeniclea and Elisabete. I think I have mentioned them in the past. They are from an interior city of Pernambuco called Custodia (no, not custodian, but almost!). Jeniclea and Elisabete are sister-in-laws. Jeniclea's husband is Elisabete's brother (his name is Jose). We met them about two months ago when their cousin brought them to church. They had come to Recife to be close to Jose who had entered into the hospital for a surgery. We started teaching them. As time went on, Jose's health went south. It became a huge trial for both of these two women. We taught them a lot about the purpose of this life and why there exists so much suffering and pain. We taught them the plan of salvation and explained what is going to happen after this life. I've never taught someone in a situation like this. It got to a point when we knew that Jose wasn't going to recover. It's in that moment that the question of "what happens to us after we die?" became very real and important for both of these sisters. It was not a coincidence that they showed up at church at this critical time of their lives. In short, on thursday, the doctors took Jose off of Life Support. Even with this difficult moment, Jeniclea and Elisabete bravely responded to us "we'll be at the baptism friday night, even we show up at midnight, we will get there." I was really impressed by their faith. They ended up being baptized friday night at 7pm by their cousin's husband. Later that night, Jose died. What an incredible demonstration of courage and faithfulness to the Lord. They really special people. We are going to set them up to enter into contact with the church close by to where they live (it's about an hour bus trip from their home, but they both said that they are willing to make that sacrifice to be able to be at church Sunday morning). What special people. I thank the Lord for the sacred opportunity to have been able to help, know, and teach them. 

Janiclea and Elisabete's baptism!

We also have been helping another lady named Marta (I have also written about her). She raises 3 children practically by herself. Her first marriage didn't work out when her husband cheated on her and we found out a very "peculiar" tidbit about her current husband this week. They aren't married, and actually don't even live together. Her husband, Hernandes, is a truck driver and spends about 10-15 days away from home at a time. When we taught her about the law of chastity, she asked her husband to marry her. He refused, but his motive was fishy. After a little bit of digging and what was undoubtedly the revealing Hand of the Lord, Marta found out that Hernandes was cheating on her (with whom I won't say, but needless to say, this isn't any ordinary marriage infidelity). She told him that she never wants to see him again. Although it's an incredibly difficult situation for her, the Lord really did bless her so she could find out that she was being cheated on. She did what was undoubtedly the best thing for her and her family. We are going to continue visiting with her and showing her how the Gospel has the answers for the all of the probably numerous questions she must be asking herself right now. The Lord plans everything folks. I saw his hand work here. One day I'll be able to explain better. It wouldn't be appropriate to explain over email. 

I find myself writing more and more about the people I'm meeting and working with and less and less about myself in my emails and journal entries. I think it's natural change that happens inside of a missionary with time. You literally forget yourself. I think that's one of the reasons why I'm so un-excited to finish my mission. I like helping other people. It's great to not be selfish! I think one thing the Lord will continue to help me to learn is how I can help others by helping myself. Spiritual, mental, physical, and financial self-dependence really is a principle of the Lord. We should be self-sufficient so we can raise up those around us. D&C 81:5 says it best: 

"Wherefore, be faithful; stand in the office which I have appointed unto you; succor the weak, lift up the hands which hang down, and strengthen the feeble knees."

This is the way we serve the Master! I testify of it!

Elder Doyel with his sleepy friend!

Until next time, 

Elder McKinley

No comments: