Monday, June 10, 2013

FINAL LETTER! 6/10/13

Well, things are winding down, but at the same time, things are picking up pace too! On Wednesday, we were able to go to the temple...what a treat. I really had some good time to reflect on my service and the lessons I've learned  these past years. I could feel an incredible peace and sense of satisfaction during my time there. 

On Thursday, I had my final interview with President Lanius....I've spoke a lot about my mission President. He is a very interesting man. He's one of the most dedicated and loyal servants of the Lord I have ever seen. He can at times, give the impression of being very serious and straightforward. There was a good time when I felt that he didn't really stop to get to know his missionaries individually, but with time, I discovered that this man is really a spiritual giant who has a heart bigger than a basketball. Sitting down with my Priesthood leader who personally guided me and oversaw my progress for two of the most incredible years of my life was an experience that surpasses all description. I don't think there's another man on this Earth who knows me so well (not just for having personally known me, but knowing and seeing what I have done, what my companions say about me, what my leaders say about me, what those I lead say about me, what the members say about me, and so on....you could kind of say that he is like a "Big Brother" or that he has an "All seeing eye"...don't think that your mission president doesn't know who you are....).

During our conversation, I felt like I was receiving the second half of my patriarchal blessing....I knew that the Lord was acting as voice through this man's lips. After about 5 minutes, I stopped him and said, "President, do you think I could take some notes?" He gave a good hearty "Jabba the Hut" chuckle and said "Sim, Elder McKinley, Pode!!!" Just for you guys to have an idea, I usually write about a page per night in my journal....Thursday night, I scrambled to write everything down that was flying through my head....It came out to about 8.5 pages...my new pen almost ran out of ink....

I was incredibly touched and very reflective after my interview. I felt that this man had looked into my soul. He told me things about myself that I knew were true, but that I had never come around to recognize or completely acknowledge. He helped me to understand just how much potential I have as a priesthood holder and as one who has a testimony of the Gospel and desire to see the work of the Lord go forth (both in my own life and in the lives of others). I felt his love and appreciation. I knew that the Lord had foreordained this man to play an important part in my life. What a special relationship I feel that I have with this righteous man of God. 

The last week is here. I'm not "trunky", like my whole district likes to tell me and joke about....I feel bad for some of them....they are all starting their missions, and I think they are a bit confused, thinking that they'd like to be in my place. I've told them several times that they don't need to worry about clocks or calendars....they are living the best and most exciting time of their lives. 2 years passes by in a heart beat.

 I'm so grateful for everything that I was able to during these past months and years. What an incredible ride it has been. I wouldn't trade it for anything. There's nothing in my life that has personally meant as much to me as my mission. I will forever cherish it in my heart. It was a sacred privilege given to me by the Almighty. I owe him everything I am and have for what he has given me.

Once again, I turn to the Book of Mormon to better describe my feelings. Ammon, as he reflected on his missionary service, expressed much of what I myself am now feeling:

Therefore, let us glory...yea, we will rejoice, for our joy is full; yea, we will praise our God forever. Behold, who can glory too much in the Lord? Yea, who can say too much of his great power, and of his mercy, and of his long-suffering towards the children of men? Behold, I say unto you,
I cannot say the smallest part which I feel.....Now have we not reason to rejoice? Yea, I say unto you, there never were men that had so great reason to rejoice as we, since the world began; yea, and my joy is carried away, even unto boasting in my God. (Alma 26:16,35 )

Enos, as he neared the end of his life, expressed the following in regards to his ministry among our Heavenly Father's children

I must preach and prophesy unto this people, and declare the word according to the truth which is in Christ. And I have declared it in all my days, and have rejoiced in it above that of the world. (Enos 1:26)

I give my testimony to all, in addition to those which have been and will yet be given, that this work is true. The Gospel of Jesus Christ is real. Jesus is real. He lives. I have never had so much certainty of this as I do in this present moment. I have never done something as important and special as the work I have been engaged in these last two years. I have basked in every minute of my mission. I know that there is no better opportunity for a young man than a full time mission. I really just can't describe it. My joy is overflowing. It's something that you just have to feel for yourself to understand. It's worth it. It's so worth it. I feel grateful. I feel happy. I know who I am. I know what I want in this life. I know where I want to go. Could there be anything more special than this?

Thanks for tuning in!

Love, 


Elder McKinley

No comments: