Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Letter 5/6/13

It's a funny thing, because Elder Santana's parents are Pernambucanos (they are from Pernambuco)....they married and moved to São Paulo where he was born....he visited Pernambuco once before about 7 years ago and he got real sick to his stomach (maybe food poisoning or something). Since he's started his mission here, he's been sick to his stomach....In Brazil, people don't feel even the slightest uncomfortable in telling you that they have diarrhea (sp?)....it's really weird....if you ask someone who looks like they are sick how they are doing, they'll respond, "oh I'm fine, I just have diarrhea today"....and then people react and respond like it were any other small conversational thing....so yeah, everyone found out that Elder Santana has had diarrhea for about 10 days now....it was a bit difficult to work on the street when we had to stop and run to the chapel or back to our house every hour or so for him to use the bathroom. It's not his fault though. 

Tuesday at about 1:30 AM, he woke up and was having a lot of stomach pain....the other Elders got really worried and insisted that we go to the hospital. We called our branch president here in Vitória whose name is Elias. This guy is a stud. He showed up within 10 minutes in his little 1990's Volkswagen golf to give us a ride....the hospital (more like a clinic really) in Vitória didn't have the right equipment to do his exams, so we had to go to Recife, which is about a 30 minute car ride. Let me tell you something about Brazilian state highways....they aren't lighted. Let me tell you another thing about 1990's Volkswagen Golf's....their windshield wipers suck....to through some more gas on the fire, it started to rain....I was absolutely bewildered as to how our Branch President was able to the road through the rain and darkness....to make it just comical, the wipers blew a circuit and stopped working all together....so there we were, flying (Brazilians have lead feet!) on the dark Brazilian highway, in the rain, with no working windshield wipers, with my companion cradled up wincing in pain, and our branch president trying to simultaneously drive and stick his hand out the window to dry off the windshield with a dirty rag he happened to have in the back seat....yup. Let's just say that I gained a stronger testimony of prayer after this whole ordeal. The Lord protected us until we got to the hospital in Recife. Fun experience though getting there!

The exams came out normal...it looks like Elder Santana caught some kind of parasite. The doctors gave him an antibiotic that solved the problem really quick. In all, we ended up spending 2 complete days watching the wall paint peel in our apartment. It's good to get out folks. 

We had to work 2x as hard to try and make up for the time that we lost. We didn't have the same success that we'd been having in bringing investigators to church. That little boy Alex that was baptized was as happy as could when he was confirmed yesterday. You could see his happiness on his face. He ran to pick up all the hymn books after sacrament meeting was over, without even being asked. I can only imagine the happiness that I would feel if a little guy like this makes it to serve a mission...only time will tell. 

I made a few visits to the other areas in our district. I've been serving (and will finish my mission) serving as district leader....it's been fun for me so far. I'm able to apply a lot of the things that I've learned throughout my mission with these newer missionaries. They are all really eager to learn, and I'm really eager to pass what I know to them, so it's a great combo. 

There were a few people that I interviewed for baptism this week...that's always one of the highlights for me. I love seeing the desire people have to enter into the church....more often than not, the people have doubts or get cold feet right before their baptism. We really have to be in tune with the Spirit to be able to help these people to make the right decision. Sometimes it's a simple worry or concern that they have, like "what will my friends think?" or "will I be able to play soccer on Sundays?". Sometimes, it's a lot more complicated, like "I had an abortion 15 years ago and I just found out that my husband moved out on me to live with another woman and I don't have any money to buy food for my 5 children ...can you help me Elder?" That was the case on Saturday. After a good long talk, a very spiritually guided lesson, we helped this good faithful woman see how she could find peace and real stability in our Father in Heaven's Earthly Kingdom. The teachings and blessings of the Gospel are really the only thing that could help a woman like that. She courageously accepted, even in the middle of many doubts and real concerns, to be baptized. What a privilege it was to talk with this lady of such great faith. 

Even when it looks like things are going wrong, the Lord is always willing to drop us one of his tender mercies. I'm very grateful for this, and all of the wonderful experiences that I've had as a missionary up until now. Let's see if I can't have a few more before my times up!

Until next time, 

-Elder McKinley

No comments: