Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Letter 5/27/13


Well instead of using my Internet time to write reports home, I spent it looking up hotel rooms in Recife for when my parents come here....something I'm not very used to....all of this "real life" experience that I've been having lately (choosing college classes, booking hotel rooms, etc.) can be somewhat frightening. I feel like a hermit crab who feels plenty comfortable inside of his little, familiar "Elder" shell...It's time to graduate to a bigger shell soon. 

I don't have a ton of time, but I'd like to share a story about a couple we are teaching, Neide and Batista. Their son, Jonas, is a recent convert and is serving a mission in Campinas. His parents have been taught by many different missionaries, but their hearts were still quite hardened. A few members suggested that we try to go to their home and teach them. We decided to give it a try. The lesson was wonderful....we were really feeling the spirit strongly. When the moment for the baptismal invitation came up, we showed a painting of Christ's baptism....we waited a good 10 seconds for them to respond.....Neide shocked me (and even better was the look on her husband's face!) when she said"ok, I don't have any more questions or doubts about it". We worked a lot with them this week. They went to our ward conference this week....boy was it perfect for them....The ward normally has about 40-50 people present....there 150 at this conference. There was an incredible outpouring of the Spirit there....it's just what you pray for as a missionary so that your investigators can really know and feel what the restored Church of Christ is like.

I'm super excited to help this couple enter into the church before my time here is up....Let's see if I'll have this privilege!

Until next time, 

-Elder McKinley

No comments: