Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Letter 4/1/13

Well, that's the biggest news I've got for you guys! I was very suspicious that I would train these last transfers....I had told President Lanius in an interview that I had the desire to train a new missionary (seeing that I have yet to train a new missionary on my mission) during my last two transfers. I had a specific area in mind that I thought would be a good set up for me to train in, but I didn't ask anything specific from my mission president. Lo and behold, the Lord granted my desire....I will be serving in Vitória de Santo Antão, an interior city on the way to Caruaru, a former area of mine. It's in the same zone that I was already serving in, so I had already visited the area twice on companionship exchanges....It should be a great way to finish my missionary service! I'm really excited for it! I will be staying in Recife for 2 days (until Wednesday) for my companion to arrive. I don't know who it's going to be, but I believe that it will be a Brazilian. I'll fill you guys in better next week.

In my last week in Jd. São Paulo, I was a bit disappointed with the outcome of Taynar's baptism....after passing a few days without any cell phone contact with Taynar, we tried going to her house everyday to try and talk with her and prepare her for her baptism. She was nowhere to be found, and we ended up only finding her mom at home almost every time....little did we know, but for some reason our frequent visits left her mom extremely annoyed....when we showed up on the day to interview Taynar, her mom exploded on us and told us that she didn't want her to join a church that makes so many annoying visits to her home....we tried explaining to her that we were only passing there to try and prepare her for her baptism, but her mom didn't really have "ears" to hear us. All in all, she refused to sign the baptism slip to authorize her 17 year old daughter's baptism....frustrating....she is going to eventually give in, but for now, we are stuck on this note. She will certainly be baptized (Taynar loves the church....she knows it's making a difference for her and that she truly does feel close to the Lord there), but unfortunately, I probably won't be there to see it. All well. That's how it goes....the Lord has bigger purposes that we know some times.

I'll write more next week with the adventures from my "son" and I in Vitória!

Until next time,

-Elder McKinley

No comments: