Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Letter 3/11/13


We are working quite a bit these days. The Lord has put some special people in our way. We have been a teaching a man here named Carlos. He is what you call "crentão" here....basically, he's very active in his evangelical church. It's funny, because after so much time and experience as a missionary teaching the same kinds of people, you already know what to expect even before you begin to teach. You know that, depending on the religion of the person, they are going to have the same questions and objections. The scriptures that we need to respond to their questions are engraved into my mind (a few of my companions even tell me that I teach in my sleep....in Portuguese too!). Unfortunately, if it were so easy as to simply open a book and read, I'd have baptized quite a few more people. A convincing argument and real conversion don't come from words or scriptures. They come from study, sincere prayer, and an open heart. Sometimes I try and force open someone's heart to stuff the Gospel in there, but it almost never works. It took a long time for me to learn and understand this (without a doubt, I'm still improving in my understanding of this concept, and will certainly spend many more years deepening my comprehension of this principle).  



Any ways, back to Carlos. A member her from the ward referred him to us. He's a good listener. The majority of people who already have other beliefs usually end up trying to teach us instead of us teaching them. He sincerely asked us why he needs to be baptized in our church. In his eye, I can understand his dilemma. He must be thinking: "I don't drink, smoke, or swear. I fear god, I keep the commandments, I go to church 3-4 times a week, and I was already baptized by my pastor. Why are these too young American men telling me that I need to be baptized in their church?" As we patiently explained to him the importance of the priesthood, you could see that he was understanding how everything rests upon the truthfulness of the Book of Mormon. He accepted the challenge to read and pray about the Book. That fills me with hope! I feel that I've been praying for the Lord's help to soften these peoples' hearts more than in any other time of my mission. It's so hard to mentally, physically, and spiritually do everything you possibly can, and then realize that everything depends on two things: the will of the Lord and the person's agency. I'm hopeful that the sincere and pure in heart will find and embrace the truth!

The Trio!

We are teaching another couple that went to church this week. Their names are Ismael and Jessica (shoutout!) Ismael must be a mechanical engineer, because he has to understand everything we teach him. For example, when we tell him that Joseph Smith was a prophet, he wants to know how old he was when he died, and compare that with other bible, Book of Mormon, and Latter-day prophets. Why that's important, I don't know, but in his mind, it's a critical point. He understands that he needs to be baptized, but he wants to be perfect before taking that step. We are working a lot with him. His wife is quiet....too quiet. She just kind of smiles and listens as we talk. They both liked church, but we got work to do before we get them into the baptismal font. They aren't married, so that puts things on another level of difficulty. It's all possible though!

Baptisms we had during our stake conference. there were a lotttt of people there!


We had the chance to go with Ana and her two boys to the temple (her husband, Pingo, wanted to go as well, but unfortunately had to work....we are doing everything we can to try and baptize him! He is the missing link in the family!) She was blown away by the peace and wonderful spirit that she felt there. I can only imagine what the temple must mean to someone who has never been to one. I could see the light in her eyes, especially when she saw another family that was entering to be sealed. I hope more than anything that she has that opportunity.

The work goes on. There's going to be a transfer April 1st. I'm hoping that I'll get to train a greenie! Let's see what I can get done before then!

Until next time, 

-Elder McKinley

No comments: