Saturday, February 16, 2013

Letter 2/11/13


It's soo weird how the weeks all just blend together. We get so accustomed to everything. Incredibly Spiritual Experiences in the beginning of our mission become routine lessons more towards the end. It's a good thing and a bad thing. I almost feel a little bit numb at times because I am on such a spiritual high. It's going to be a rude awakening when I have to descend from above "cloud 9" and come back to reality.

I wanted to comment a bit about Diego. He was an incredible blessing to both us and the Afogados ward. There's a big need for priesthood holders in that ward. Diego came into the picture at an opportune moment, just as the current bishop asked to be released because he feels "overwhelmed with his calling". Diego is going to have to be strong to protect his bold yet fragile, new testimony. We met with him after his baptism and could see the difference in his countenance. We explained to him about the priesthood, and how will one day be able to serve others in the same way that we served him (hint hint....Mission!!!!) He takes care of his mentally ill mom who takes care of her physically ill mom....it might be difficult for him to get out to the field, but I'm sure the Lord will open the doors for him. He's a fantastic young man. I really feel that I have a strong link with him.

On Wednesday, we our Zone Leader Council with President Lanius. He told us how he has received instructions from church HQ that the pace of missionary work has accelerated. Starting with the age reduction announcement last year, the Lord has started to make the necessary changes to better and more quickly prepare the world for his 2nd coming. Our mission will jump from 180 missionaries to 220. There will be missionaries arriving pretty much every week (usually they only come once every 6 weeks). Pres Lanius said that he doesn't intend to open new proselyting areas, but rather strengthen the already existing, weaker wards and branches (there's a lot of those here....) putting 2 companionships in  many of the wards. It was so weird to hear these announcements coming from my mission president. I thought to myself "the second coming really is closer than I think"....I also thought to myself how I have the sacred opportunity to participate in this work in this time and day so critical in the Lord's eternal plan. I can only imagine how the urgency will be when my children are serving missions. Needless to say, I left that meeting excited and ready to roll.

We went straight to the interior (they call inland "interior" here) to a little city called Moreno (or "brown"). I spent two days there with Elder Schmutz from Virginia (actually his family moved to Nebraska recently....cold climate to cold climate). He's a good guy, and it's the 3rd or 4th time that I've been able to work with him. We were able to do a lot of good work and visit a lot of good people. We had a good chat about some of the difficulties that he had with his past companions. I feel that the same subject of obedience and sacrifice just keeps coming up as a missionary. It's like that nagging cough that never goes away! I've learned so much through the experiences that I've already had on my mission. I feel so happy that I can use my past difficulties and experiences to help others who are passing through the same things.

Saturday was the best of all.....baptism day! Marta was baptized this week! I've talked about her and her story several times. Of all of the people that I've taught and baptized on my mission, Marta is one that stands out to me. Her faith is absolutely incredible to me. She lives by herself with 3 little kids. She's had two rough relationships in the past (one was made right....a legal marriage that went south....the other was a "strong friendship" as they say in Portuguese, or in other words, they never legally married.) She got cheated on twice....what luck huh? She was suffering with the hatred she had for these two men....it was almost getting to the point of consuming her. We introduced the Book of Mormon to her, and started marking stories for her to read. She admitted to us up front that he she hates reading, but accepted the invite. The more she read, the more she felt the spirit, and the more she was able to make incredible process. We could see the Spirit working within her, dismantling the "natural man" piece by piece. It's an incredible thing. One of the most special experiences I've ever had. It wasn't anything loud or flamboyant, but it was without a doubt the power of God working within her. She asked me to baptize her. What a privilege! After I took her up out of the water, she stayed in place with her head silently bowed down and let out an enormous sigh of relief.....you could tell that in that moment and in that place, a daughter of God came to understand and personally know the power of the Atonement. Wow. We are sent to teach these people, but we're the ones who are having heavenly experiences and gaining an eternal understanding of things. A scripture in D&C 76 came to my mind as I recounted this story here.....

Marta's baptism! The Lady in black is a member who is one of Marta's friends. She will help her a lot for sure, as she already has!


For thus saith the Lord—I, the Lord, am merciful and gracious unto those who fear me, and delight to honor those who serve me in righteousness and in truth unto the end. Great shall be their reward and eternal shall be their glory. And to them will I reveal all mysteries, yea, all the hidden mysteries of my kingdom from days of old, and for ages to come, will I make known unto them the good pleasure of my will concerning all things pertaining to my kingdom. Yea, even the wonders of eternity shall they know, and things to come will I show them, even the things of many generations. And their wisdom shall be great, and their understanding reach to heaven; and before them the wisdom of the wise shall perish, and the understanding of the prudent shall come to naught. For by my Spirit will I enlighten them, and by my power will I make known unto them the secrets of my will—yea, even those things which eye has not seen, nor ear heard, nor yet entered into the heart of man.

I Love my mission. I love this special time that I have to really come to know the Lord and serve his children.

Until next time,

-Elder McKinley

No comments: