Monday, October 10, 2011

Letter 9/26/11


I literally just got a phone call that I am going to be transferred this week! Wow.....I really am shocked. I have had so much momentum working with the people here and building relationships. I am really kind of at a loss of words of how to describe how....I guess unsure about this I am. I wanted nothing more than to help the Jackson family progress towards baptism....we have grown close with them. Anyways....I have no idea where I am going....I will find out Weds AM...If there's anything I have learned since coming to Alabama, that is that the Lord knows what he is doing with me.

This week has been another good one! I'll start with the J Family again. We had such a powerful and spiritual lesson. The 3 committed to baptism for the 15th, and the husband, who was already baptized 30 years aho, will prepare to recieve the Aaronic priesthood to baptize his family. You have to understand, literally 9 days ago, these people scoffed at me when I asked them if they would be willing to come to church. SInce then, they have both asked for priesthood blessings to help quit smoking to become worthy of recieving baptism. The wife downloaded all of the standard works on her iPad including sunday school manuals and has been reading them! The husband has been "practicing" praying in his car on the way to work! These people are thirsting for the truth, and they have finally found it! What a miracle!

We found another guy in our apartment complex. Elder Gibson and I came across a piece of paper with this guys name on it and apartment number. We brought it to his door, and he told us that he needed to talk to us. We set up a return appointment, taught him the first lesson, committed him to baptism (before I even finished asking him he said "I need to be baptized!"), and to read the book of mormon. We called him later that night, asked him about his thoughts on the BoM to which he responded simply "It's the truth!" So, so, so cool.

We have 6 baptismal dates for now, and I won't be here for any of them. I really do hope that these investigators will get along with the next missionaries that come after us. If we taught them correctly, their foundation of Jesus Christ should be the only thing that they need. I do have soooooooo much more that I want to talk about....lots of "bashing" (that word is politically incorrect here.....confounding false doctrines is more acceptable) with people who simply don't have the truth. The BoM and Bible are both amazing books. The church is true! I am a merely a pawn in a giant game spreading the word of salvation. Look forward to more details next week!

Until Next time,

Elder McKinley

No comments: